We at Manhattan Couture always take the extra step to ensure you maintain that envious luxurious look at all times. Hair extensions are not part of your natural hair; always take good care of them to ensure they remain healthy and intact. Therefore, to help you look after your extensions, we devised an in-depth after-care information sheet so you can get the most out of them (extensions).
It is best to shampoo hair extensions as infrequently as it is hygienically possible. It is advisable that you only shampoo human hair extensions when they appear dull or begin to produce odor. This is because, unlike your natural hair, hair extensions do not receive natural oils from the scalp, and shampooing them more often than not will dry them out.
- Shampoo the hair in a gentle manner, following the direction of its growth from top to bottom.
- To avoid product buildup at the bonds when conditioning your hair, apply the conditioner to mid lengths and ends, and only a small amount at the root of the hair.
- Manhattan Couture recommends you to use our wide range of hair care products for best results. Different hair extensions require certain products and ingredients to maintain their level of quality. Consequently, our hair care products are best suited to the hair extensions we offer.
Allow clip-in hair extensions to dry naturally by laying them on a clean towel to reduce the amount of heat exposure. Just like your Remy hair clip-in hair extensions, your natural hair should be air-dried without the aid heat, as heat can damage cuticles. Opt out of using blow dryers as often as possible.
- Never go to bed with wet hair. Always make sure your hair is dry and tied up in a loose bun or plait before going to sleep.
- When using hot appliances such as straightening or curling irons, keep the heat away from the hair extension bonds to avoid damaging them.
- Run your fingers through your hair extension attachments on a daily basis to ensure that the bonds are separated.
- If the tangles are hard to remove, apply spray or conditioner on the hair to ease out tangles.
- Remove tangles from the ends and gently work your way up to avoid breakage.
- Tie your hair in a bun or plait when swimming. Salty water and the chlorine in pools are not ideal for hair extensions. Therefore, ensure that you wash them (extensions) with fresh water immediately after swimming.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner. If you have removable extensions, remove them before swimming.
- As the hair grows, your extensions will move away from the scalp; therefore, re-adjust them (extensions) every 6-8 weeks. Six weeks is ideally recommended to avoid matting at the bonds.
If you are using removable extensions, remove them before going to bed and ensure you store them correctly, ideally in your Manhattan Couture hanging bag. This will protect them and prevent tangling.